Author Jackie Barbosa recently lost her teenage son in a terrible car accident. No parent should ever have to live through this, and you can imagine how devastating this has been for her. Online, there’s no way to make someone a casserole or take her flowers, but there is something we can do to help ease her burdens and to send her the message that she is supported in this time: that is, for a short space of time, to take over the burden of talking about her books.
Between March 21st through Monday, March 31st, we’re asking people to talk about Jackie’s books. You can find a list of her books here: http://www.
jackiebarbosa.com/books/. Your support can be as simple as a post to your Facebook page or twitter stream, or as long as a lengthy discussion of a particular book on a site. You can blog about a specific book, or just choose one to mention. Let us know about the post by e-mailing me at email@example.com. We’ll update this post with links on a nightly basis.
Reviews are always welcome. Given the occasion, however, if you post a negative review of Jackie’s books, please don’t ask us to link it here–we want to make sure that it’s a safe space for her.
We would also appreciate it if you’d link and/or donate to the scholarship fund being established in her son’s honor, the Julian Fraire memorial fund.
Thank you all so much.
(note 5/26, I’ve just discovered that I only previewed the updates, but did not save them. Eek. My bad!)
Here’s an incomplete list of links. I haven’t been able to capture them all, and I’m not linking to individual tweets (because it would be unwieldy). If you want to be added to the list, e-mail me above:
- A spotlight of Skin in the Game by A.C. James
- A post about Jackie’s books by Ros Clarke
- Laurie London’s post on Facebook
- Holly Bush’s facebook page
- Read React Review’s post about The Reiver and Grace Under Fire
- A review of Skin in the Game at Kaetrin’s Musings
- Courtney Milan’s post on Can’t Take the Heat
- Carolyn Jewel’s post on The Lesson Plan
- Carolyn Jewel’s post on Skin in the Game
- Erin Satie’s review of The Lesson Plan
- Cassandra Carr’s Facebook post about Jackie’s books
- Marie Force’s facebook post about Jackie’s books
- Reading with Analysis’s post about Jackie’s books
- Mean Fat Old Bat’s post about Behind the Red Door
- Isobel Carr’s giveaway of Jackie’s books
- Penny Watson’s review of Skin in the Game
- Laurie Hunsaker’s blog about Jackie’s books
- Lisa Marie Rice’s facebook post about Jackie’s books